DS3 AND DS3 CABRIO – NEW XENON FULL-LED SIGNATURE
2010, selling 320,000 hatchback and Cabrio models globally. A clever association of market success, attractive styling and continuous improvement, DS became a fully-fledged brand in June 2014. In keeping with the brand’s new status, the DS3 – the B-segment hatchback – now features a raft of innovative technology. Boasting a new engine delivering exceptional performance, an automatic braking system that helps to avoid low-speed collisions, a new light signature, plus a host of connectivity services, the DS3 is now even more closely tailored to customer expectations of performance, safety and wellbeing.
1. ENGINES DELIVERING EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE
1.1 THP 165 S&S Engine/6-Speed Manual Gearbox
The THP 165 S&S engine has been designed to meet the new Euro 6 emission standard, which is due to come into
force in September 2015. It carries across all the features of the THP 155 Euro 5 unit and includes several technical
upgrades in a bid to improve engine power and efficiency, especially fuel consumption and emissions. With this aim in mind,
- the maximum injection pressure has been increased from 120 bar (THP 155) to 200 bar, thereby optimising fuel
spray injection, which in turn enhances the combustion process and significantly lowers pollutant emissions,
especially during the cold-start phase;
- Stop & Start technology has been introduced. This innovation, combined with improved management of electrical
and hydraulic energy (e.g. on-demand water pump and variable displacement oil pump already available on the
THP 155), help to reduce fuel consumption by around 18% compared with the Euro 5 engine. This innovation
has been combined with improved management of electrical and hydraulic energy (e.g. on-demand water pump
and variable displacement oil pump already available on the THP 155) to reduce fuel consumption in city driving
by around 10% compared with the Euro 5 engine;
- friction inside the engine has been reduced (piston pins coated in Diamond Like Carbon – DLC, low-tension). In addition to cutting fuel consumption, this upgrade has helped to reduce the amount of oil used between oil changes. this upgrade has helped to increase service intervals;
- and lastly, the turbo has been redesigned (new vane design) to ramp up the power and achieve the same response times during acceleration from low revs.
As a result of these upgrades, the THP 165 S&S engine/6-Speed manual gearbox delivers maximum power of 120
kW (165 bhp EEC) at 6,000 rpm. Maximum torque is 240 Nm from 1,400 rpm to 4,000 rpm, offering outstanding
driving enjoyment at low and medium engine revs.
Mated to a six-speed manual gearbox, the DS3 and DS3 Cabrio THP 165 S&S boast combined-cycle fuel
consumption of 5.6 l/100 km and CO2 emissions of 129g/km, equivalent to a saving of 6g/km or 3.5% (over a
combined cycle compared with the THP 155 Euro 5).